How's the blown-and-flamed C5 car to drive? "It puts a smile on your face every day," says Wahl, who adds that Vette enjoyment isn't limited to him and his son. "My father used to tease me, saying, 'Ahh--it's just a car,'" he remembers. "He's always been into boats, and if the boat ever needed anything, the sky was the limit.
"He ended up buying a Vette, and we now go to car shows together. He made the mistake of saying the Vette was 'his' one day…so now, my mom has one."
As for any advice he may have (along with avoiding driving through salt water), Wahl offers this for anyone looking for his or her first Corvette: "Go to some car shows and talk to some enthusiasts. You're much better off [shopping with] private sellers versus dealers, because you can get more history, and the flavor of the car, by doing it that way." He adds, "I had just as much fun looking for a used one as I did trying to decide what to buy, and what color.
"The Corvette is an American icon that many people buy and cherish, unlike a daily-driver car. It's something that they've always dreamed of." vette
It puts a smile on your face every day!--Adam Wahl
5 Under the Callaway-sourced MagnaCharger is a bone-stock LS1-the only thing stock about
6 It took County Corvette's crew nine months to return Wahl's '04 to its pre-storm glory
7 This shot from beneath the car shows the extreme level of detail employed during its po
- H. Adam Wahl III; Hockessin, DE
- Callaway/MagnaCharger supercharger, 6 psi boost (max)
- Stock hypereutectic aluminum
- Stock powdered-metal steel
- American Racing headers, Corsa exhaust system
- RPM Stage 4 automatic transaxle, installed by East Coast Supercharging
- Precision Industries, 2,400-rpm stall speed
- Stock with RPO F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control shocks and Hotchkis sway bars (front and rear)
- Baer discs with 12.75-in two-piece front and 14-in two-piece rear rotors
- CCW chrome; 19x10 (front), 19x11 (rear)
- Michelin Pilot Sport; 275/30ZR19 (front), 305/30ZR19 (rear)