Car enthusiasts and lifelong collectors packed the Mecum Auction tent at Bob McDorman Chevrolet in Canal Winchester, Ohio, as McDorman's personal collection of Corvettes, as well as an array of other Chevrolet models, sold to eager bidders.
The no-reserve Mecum event, which took place Nov. 6, 2010, had total gross sales of $7 million (excluding buyer's premium). It included nearly 150 superior classic cars, comprising the most complete collection of Corvettes ever offered.
1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe...
1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Bill Mitchell Experimental Sting Ray XX sold at $160,000
"As a passionate car lover, there is no doubt Bob McDorman's collection featured some of the rarest, most desired vehicles in the classic car community," said President Dana Mecum. "We had more than 1,000 registered bidders for this one-day auction, which is an extraordinary turnout, and we were proud to work together with Bob to make this a very successful event."
McDorman, a Chevrolet dealer for 45 years, plans to use proceeds from the sale to focus on the daily operation of his dealership.
"It was a fantastic auction and I was very pleased," McDorman stated. "At one point there were more than 1,100 people watching it online via Mecum's live auction webcast. Mecum did a beautiful job setting everything up and handling the event - it all went so smoothly. It was very professional and the cars and memorabilia brought more than I expected."
The Mecum McDorman Top 10 sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Bunkie Knudsen's (Lot S70) at $400,000
2. 1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe previously owned by Florence Knudsen (Lot S73) at $280,000 >>>>>>>>
3. 1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Bill Mitchell Experimental Sting Ray XX (Lot S72) at $160,000
4. 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster 235 CI (Lot S57) at $131,000
5. 1955 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster Serial #2 (Lot S59) at #130,000
6. 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car 346/350 HP (Lot S138) at $112,000
7. 2006 Chevrolet SSR Roadster - the last SSR sold to the public - (Lot S56) at $109,000
8. 2002 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Coupe 427/600 HP (Lot S51) at $97,500
9. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Pace Car Replica 396/375 (Lot S29) at $88,000
10. 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 4-Speed (Lot S61) at $83,000
Complete auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at www.Mecum.com.